30 March 2012

Dear diary - a day in my life

I was inspired to share my day by Jeanne's photo diary post.  That was yesterday.  I regretted saying I would join in, as Jeanne's day looks totally idyllic in comparison!

Here's a weekday in my life...

I normally get up, dressed and out and have my breakfast at the office.  I didn't take a picture of my breakfast.  I make it in the microwave with porridge oats and water, with a little bit of soya 'cream'.  Lovely!

I always have paperwork to deal with in the morning, but I love the variety of my job.


Today we were surprised by an Easter gift from the wife of one of the ARC team.  Look at these gorgeous home made Easter chicks!


Each one concealed a Creme Egg.  We sold them for £1 each and donated the money to the local animal sanctuary. Funnily enough, they sold like hot cakes!

Tinned spaghetti on toast for lunch, as I was late up this morning.  I was pulled up at lunchtime by my friend "I thought you only ate healthy food??'.   Nothing too much wrong with spaghetti on toast in my opinion.

I'd been fed, so 'security' (aka a gang of corvid bouncers) have to be fed...

Here they come, as they do every day.  Excuse the picture quality, it's taken from my office window as they get understandably jittery about eating around people


They complained about the toughness of the offerings today by gulping and regurgitating it.  Nice.  Thank goodness I'd eaten.


And then they left with their stash for better pickings.


They make us laugh every day, and I really enjoy watching them.  We are at the side of a very busy expressway and it's interesting that the first birds to spot food are crows and magpies.  They never miss a trick!

Anyway, that's lunch break over.

IT problems, a tender to complete, a reference to write, a social media policy to finish off, the afternoon gone...

But nature is never far from my mind.



At the end of the day, a course to think about.


And home, out of heels and into flipflops.  Dinner's on the hob.  I love curry, and almost any veg will turn into a great curry.  This evening it's a particularly unusual mix, due to the arrival of my veg box and supermarket shop.  It's a spicy, peppery curry, tempered by coconut milk - veggies in here tonight are okra, spring greens, onions, tomatoes and butter beans.



I've eaten dinner, and listened to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm4Yo-7aMv4

and this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrFrNnxuIYc

and just playing my favourite Bryan Adams track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbXLJTuvJCo

16 comments:

  1. Your day sounds altogether more structured than mine..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie
      I have a very busy job, so I need to be reasonably structured so that everything gets done.
      Dan
      -x-

      Delete
  2. It's such fun to peek into someone else's day, you sound so organised compared with me! 'Feeding security' made me laugh :-) crows are very entertaining to watch. I love the little Easter chicks, what a lovely idea.

    I see on your previous post that things are coming on well in your new home (apart from the tile replacement problem) and it looks lovely, makes mine look very shabby!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan
      I thought the little Easter chicks were wonderful. I've kept mine to use next year. The crows are hilarious, they eat until they are full, then they stash the rest by burying it.
      Dan
      -x-

      Delete
  3. Thanks for joining in Dan!

    Ha! My day isn't always like that - but the warm sunshine helped!

    Your day sounds very productive indeed and the course looks like something worth going for. Is that a lovely mouse mat I spy by your computer ..? Sometimes I miss the structure of working in an office and taking a 'proper' lunch hour. I have to be so disciplined working from home and resist the urge to randomly go and put some washing on or hoover or whatever! So much so that I now have a rota for the housework. I do tend to get sidetracked and then have to play catch up with my work in the evenings!

    Loved watching the youtube clips, especially The Jacksons.

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne
      I used to work from home many moons ago in my previous job. I got lots more done on my 'home days' away from the constant interruption of the telephone. It must be really handy to be able to pop and put the washing on or hang it out, rather than it all be waiting when you get home.
      Dan
      -x-

      Delete
  4. Hmmm, my day would be extremely boring! Might give it a go though. I don't mind the crows but the magpies around our way are little horrors, but then again it's just natural to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, you should give it a go, I'd be interested to read it with all that gardening, knitting and dog walking.
      Dan
      -x-

      Delete
  5. I thought I commented, but if I didn't goodness you get a lot done in a day.
    The curry sounds really good, coconut milk is the equalizer, love it !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Parsnip
      The curry is really great with the added creaminess of the coconut milk.
      Dan
      -x-

      Delete
  6. The only thing I'd have against tinned spaghetti is the amount of sodium in it. Other than that, it sounds delish!

    I don't think I want to share a full day with anyone; you'd be bored stiff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet I wouldn't be bored to read about your day, in fact I think you should blog about how you prepare to write a poem!
      Dan
      -x-

      Delete
  7. Hi Dan,

    The Easter chicks are so sweet, I would certainly have bought one :)

    Spaghetti on toast.....I agree, nothing wrong with that at all. Healthy food does not have to include fresh fruit and veg all the time.

    I love Bryan Adams......what a lovely way to end the day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Easter chicks were a big hit. I think they'd be brilliant things to sell to raise money for charity. Carol's an experienced knitter, so they didn't even take her that long to make.
      Dan
      -x-

      Delete
  8. BTW love the look of that curry....yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delish, though I do use a curry paste and add the rest of the ingredients rather than making my own base from scratch.
      Dan
      -x-

      Delete